January 3, 2012

An experience with Alzheimer's


I read a lot about this disease decade ago, Alzheimer's disease, primarily to educate myself and be aware of its signs and basically know how to prevent it. So much concern of my mental health as aging is inevitable. Without my knowledge my mother has this mental illness.

Nanay is going on 74 by March 28.  At her age, she is still in pink of health with strong bones and evenly aligned strong teeth. She can still stride, that's her morning rotuine, along the street near our house. By nature she is a homebody, orderly and organized, industriouos, generous especially to the needy and downtrodden. Very loving, caring, and understanding woman but strict and disciplinarian that she's most often prone  to be misundertood. Nanay is my greatest critic and fan. My very good and best friend more than anybody else. She knows my secret both personal and work affairs. 
 
Two years ago today, I had this bad feelings towards her imbalanced temper and moodswings.  It seemed she was not the Nanay i knew. Most often she blurted the househelper without valid reason. Sometimes she engaged in a "tug-of-war" with my son Robin. She became my stressor at home. Unreasonable she became that i almost lost my temper. She's so persistent even to unworthy things like trudging the streets more or less 50 meters away from our abode rain or shine daily for eight hours. Just imagine. It went on for barely two years. 
 
One day, i found her hardly speak her thoughts and respond to my conversations.  She has difficulty communicating in the house, if she does,  mostly yelling and throwing objects. Good...nobody's hit. I begun to suspect she has this mental illness of Alzheimer's.
I took her to our family doctor to undergo a cognitive evaluation. She was on the threshold of Alzheimer's. Immediately she was prescribed with a medicine that prevents the disease to progress rapidly. A lifetime maintenance. Definitely, cannot cure the illness. I've made that adjustments with Nanay for barely two years.
Today she's still the same. Nothing's changed and improved. Her doctor said, she'll never be well  but one day worsens, at least slowly. Inspite of that, I still love her unconditionally. She's like my son's younger sibling.
 <><> <><> <><>
Nanay & Rob: Best of friends;)

My day makes me with Robin and my mother. When Nanay's older sister and younger brother are a bit worried with her (Nanay), I am not. She's well under my care. But one day, she'll have a yaya of her own too. I can still see her flush a smile when in good mood or give a frown when in bad.
 
My personal experience with Alzheimer's provided me a concrete idea of the illness. Personally, i don't consider it a dreadful disease with appropriate information and get educated about it, regular visit with the doctor for a brain-memory assessment, and keep your brain busy. Don't panic, stay cool.<><> <><> <><>
She doesn't look she got an Alzheimer's. With Rob and Bettymae



 
I have but one realization with old age : There'll come a time that sons and daughters become parents to their parents. So, kids love your parents..

 

 
 
.
 
 


     

 
 



 







 



 

 

 

 



 


 

 


 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 












No comments: