December 7, 2011

salmagundi

This is my brainchild.

In one of my travels to Manila, while waiting for my flight, i joined the queue in a magazine stand and randomly picked one which i wasn't familiar, with the purpose to just read as an antidote to my boredom.  While leafing through the pages, i read this word "salmagundi". It sounded so "classy" or "whatever" to me though, ironically, i really didn't know its real meaning. It really stuck to me on that particularly hour but it didn't sunk into my consciousness.  I went to the office the following day and started my day right for my unfinish work conceptualizing an office magazine sort of which contents were of human resource and organizational development themes. To make the story so so short, the contents were done, but the magazine has no title.

I let it pass for about five days before i went back for the title, still, can't find one. I just kept on re-reading the pages. I found out that the magazine's content were of different concerns and subject matter. It's all about personal leadership, health and wellness, 5S, work effciency and effectiveness, productivity, management tools, and other related topics. So i though it should bear a name that really fits the contents.

As i was winding up to motivate myself to think of the name, i read the magazine i bought at the airport. It reminded me of the word "salmagundi". Out of curiosity i researched it with Webster's, but to my dismay, it was not found. I was challenged! what word is this? Just for luck, i tried Kenyon and Knott, there i found the word. It's a French term for "mix, assorted, and other related meaning". Actually, there were several synonyms, but i got only the two closest to my understanding.

There my magazine got it's name. However, it circulated only for two years for any other reason i can't explain.  It hibernated until now. The thing is, I missed the project. It was the only way i can express and share myself.

Here comes, blogging! I take this very providential to continue "salmagundi" in circulation, not universal, though within my reach.

No comments: